Pensar was engaged to upgrade the Walgett Weir on the Barwon River, raising the previous weir level by one metre. Essential to the project was the construction of a fishway to facilitate upstream fish migration at this priority site in the Murray-Darling Basin
- The raising of the Walgett Weir provided the local community and agricultural industry with greater water supply and drought security through increased storage and improved infrastructure.
- A 31 slot vertical fishway addressed a priority site for fish migration and conservation in the Murray-Darling Basin.
- The project also involved upstream flood mitigation works and the removal of the Namoi Weir.
- Pandemic travel restrictions and the local harvest season posed challenges for securing labour and subcontractors.
- Quarry materials were not available locally so had to be sourced and hauled from other regions.
- Despite record flooding and unseasonal weather, the project proceeded with minimal delay.
- Careful management of construction activities ensured minimal impact to the riverbank and water flow.
- Given the impact of drought in recent years and growing public concern about river health, water quality and fish diversity, the project was of crucial importance for Walgett Shire Council and the local community.
- Pensar built strong working relationships with the client, community and industry to deliver far-reaching benefits for the region.